Friday, October 30, 2009

Charles Fairmorn -- Lancer's Slices


Brand: Charles Fairmorn
Blend: Lancer's SLices
Style: Virginia/Latakia
Pipe Used: Savinelli Churchwarden #401
Price: $22.00/8oz.

Appearance: 8
Taste: 9
Room Note: 7
Value: 7
Overall: 8

In various online forum threads about hidden and overlooked tobacco gems the name Lancer's Slices comes up time and again. Perhaps the small size of its manufacturer or the fact that it's only available in bulk has something to do with this relative anonymity. In any case, this is yet another blend that practically called to me so I just had to give it a try.

Charles Fairmorn's Lancer's Slices is an almost jet-black sliced flake composed of Virginia and Latakia and that's it. It may sound deceptively simple but the first whiff of the tobacco's rich, earthy aroma should be the first clue that in you're in for a real treat.

I decided to use my new Savinelli Churchwarden for this test run as it's my pipe dedicated to Latakia heavy blends. I broke up the slices a bit further then stuffed them into the pipe and gave it a light.

I can sum up this review in one word -- bliss! From the first puff right on through to the end this tobacco offered up a rich, satisfying flavor that for me is the very essence of pipe smoking.

The Latakia was a dominant presence yet it was such a high quality leaf that I never tired of the smokey campfire taste or aroma. Backing up this potentially overwhelming onslaught was a rich, sweet Virginia that played off the Latakia to perfection.

Have you ever toasted a marshmallow over a campfire a bit too long until it turned black and charred? Well imagine if there was some way to magically capture the sweetness of the toasted marshmallow along with the rich smoke of the campfire and yet do away with the ashes and soot. That's pretty much the picture that Lancer's Slices painted on my palate and my but it sure was tasty.

I loved the room aroma for much the same reason that I loved the taste but not everyone is going to enjoy that smoldering campfire smell, especially in the house.

Lancer's Slices provided a cool, dry smoke and required only a few relights along the way. I seem to have good luck with sliced flakes and this one was no exception as it chugged right along at a nice slow smolder. There was a bit of wet dottle left at the end due, I'm sure, to me slobbering on the pipe.

If I were to look up the word sublime in Webster's I would see a picture of Charles Fairmorn's Lancer's Slices. I had planned to enjoy a smoke while reading and listening to music but I found the tobacco to be such a delight that the book was quickly forgotten as I shut my eyes, listened to some Telemann, and blissfully puffed on my pipe.

It may well be hidden but this blend is most assuredly a gem.

No comments: