Monday, October 5, 2009

Altadis -- Voodoo Queen


Brand: Altadis
Blend: Voodoo Queen
Style: English/Aromatic
Pipe Used: Cob
Price: $7.72/4oz.

Appearance: 8
Taste: 6
Room Note: 6
Value: 8
Overall: 7

Sometimes you decide to try a new blend based on purely superficial reasons such as tin art, name, price, or blending house. Having lived in New Orleans for a few years I was intrigued enough by the marketing verbiage for Altadis's Voodoo Queen that I bought four ounces a few months back. Since I was very pleasantly surprised by their Count Pulaski blend I figured I didn't have much to lose given the low price.

Voodoo Queen is a very dark broken flake that is advertised as being an English-style blend of mocha slices, Latakia, and Perique. I'm not sure what a mocha slice is but I'm guessing it's a Virginia/Burley leaf blend. The aroma out of the jar was similar to most light English or Balkan blends with smoky Latakia and hints of spice layered on top of an underlying Virginia sweetness.

To sample the blend I grabbed a wad of the broken flakes and gently stuffed them into my trusty cob. I should have let it dry a bit as it took a while to get the pipe lit but once I got a nice smolder going it stayed burning for quite a while.

The tobacco started off with a mellow flavor as none of the various constituent parts of the blend were all that forceful. The Latakia was noticeable but fairly mild while the Perique was evident in a slight spiciness but it too seemed to be doled out with a conservative hand. The VA/Bur component was fairly sweet but lacked the depth of flavor found in a heavier English blend.

As for the so-called mocha, I did notice a faint hint of bittersweet chocolate similar to the taste of a maduro cigar but this particular flavor profile can be found in many aged and pressed leaves so I have to chalk this blend's advertised uniqueness up to sheer marketing.

That being said, what flavor there was remained consistent and provided for a long enjoyable smoke with no aftertaste. I just prefer more kick from my English blends.

And aside from the initial lighting issues the tobacco was well behaved in the pipe and provided a nice cool smoke. As is my custom with flakes I avoided tamping and just let the tobacco unravel as it burned and that seemed to work just fine.

The room aroma was typical for a Latakia blend meaning you'll either love it or hate it with most innocent bystanders falling firmly in the latter camp.

Voodoo Queen is an interesting blend that didn't quite live up to its billing. It's a nice enough smoke and one certainly can't quibble on the price but I think there are many better blends to be found in this category. Still, I appreciate the fact that Altadis is willing to experiment with numerous new blends for the piper even in the face of the seemingly unstoppable forces arrayed against our hobby.

No comments: