Thursday, June 10, 2010

McClelland -- Christmas Cheer 2007


Brand: McClelland
Blend: Christmas Cheer 2007
Style: Virginia
Pipe Used: Amalfi #313
Price: Free Sample

Appearance: 8
Taste: 8
Room Note: 8
Value: 8
Overall: 8

As winter approaches I always seek out a tin of the new Christmas Cheer to add to my cellar. Since I've been planning to age each tin for at least five years I hadn't actually had a chance to try any of this blend's various incarnations until a friendly trade landed a sample of the 2007 vintage in my lap.

Christmas Cheer 2007 is described as a zesty Red Virginia culled from the 2001 crop and then pressed into flakes. I've always treated single-crop blends like fine wines and put them aside for further aging before smoking. I'm a sucker for holiday themed pipe tobacco and love good quality Virginia flakes so I was very eager to finally put some of this stuff to the match.

The tobacco was a dark brown broken flake and had that funky aroma unique to McClelland's Virginia blends. Often referred to as a ketchup, or vinegar-like smell, I've always equated it with the sweet smell of fermentation and never minded its presence in other blends. But the Christmas Cheer 2007 really had it in spades and smelled more like sauerkraut mixed with ginger snaps than pipe tobacco.

Since this is a broken flake I used the sticks method to load my pipe. First I gathered up a pinch of the tobacco in my fingers, oriented it so most of the bunch was pointing in the same direction like a bundle of sticks, pushed it down into my pipe, and then used my fingers to pinch off the excess from the top of the bowl. The trick with this method is to get a good burn going then put that tamper away lest you muck things up.

The first few puffs gave off that sweet hay-like flavor often found in light Virginias and once I got the pipe going I slowed way down as gentle sipping typically brings out the best in VA blends. Well in this case slow smoking only seemed to bring that tangy tartness hinted at by the strong tin aroma to the fore and that is not a flavor profile I seek out while enjoying Virginias. The taste was akin to that of a soured pipe and that is just not tasty at all.

But once I picked up the pace and started puffing like a chimney the blend went right back to being tasty and sweet with hints of citrus. Odd behavior to be sure and I'm still not sure what to make of it. And since a heavy hand was required I was glad that I was smoking a thick-walled pipe otherwise it surely would have gotten too hot.

The aroma was fairly decent and for all the moaning about the strong fermented tin aroma and tobacco taste none of those sour notes appeared in the room note -- thankfully.

Flakes tend to require a bit more tending than mixtures and this one was no different. As mentioned, I avoided tamping and just stuck to occasional relights to keep the tobacco going strong. And since I seldom have problems with tongue bite I had no issues with this blend.

After all is said and done I still don't know what to make of Christmas Cheer 2007. I'm of the camp that typically finds the McClelland "aroma" to be an indicator of well-aged and actively fermenting Virginias but in this case the smell and subsequent flavor were a bit too forceful. So I'm left with more questions than answers: will these blends mellow with age or is this the flavor I can expect to find with other vintages as well?

Now that I know how to smoke it to get the most from this blend I intend to enjoy the rest of my 2007 sample while glancing at my other Christmas Cheers and wondering what they have in store for me down the road.

No comments: