Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snuff -- Dr. J Robertson Justice


Brand: Fribourg & Treyer
Blend: Dr. J Robertson Justice
Style: Dry Nasal Snuff
Price: $3.45/40g

Appearance: 8
Aroma/Taste: 7
Value: 9
Overall: 8

I've been dabbling in nasal snuff longer than I've been smoking cigars or pipes but it's still such a rare activity for me that this is my first snuff review.

Fribourg & Treyer's Dr. J Robertson Justice is a 50/50 blend of their Morlaix and Bordeaux snuffs. Given my Bavarian heritage I'm more of a Schmalzler guy myself but I heard good things about this blend and couldn't pass it up when I found it available for such a great price.

The snuff is medium brown in color and consists of fairly dry medium ground granular tobacco. It's fairly easy stuff to pinch and sniff right out of the decidedly vintage looking tin.

The initial aroma I got from this blend reminded me of my grandma -- all lilac, lavender, and potpourri. That's not necessarily an unpleasant smell but not really what I look for in a snuff. Fortunately the snuff eventually grew in complexity and began to give off hints of more exotic stuff -- jasmine, musk, sandalwood and citrus.

The aroma was very long lasting but not overpowering and was light enough that my sinuses didn't get irritated.

All in all Dr. J Robertson Justice was a fine snuff that I'll likely enjoy on those occasions when my nose prefers a lighter pinch.

No comments: