Sunday, March 1, 2009

Xikar Pipeline



I've long been intrigued by the classic Corona Old Boy pipe lighters but wasn't quite ready to plunk down that much cash when I stumbled on the knock-off Xikar Pipeline at Lil' Brown Smoke Shack for only $34. At that price I figured it was worth taking a shot to see if I even like this style of lighter.

I've used Xikar cigar lighters and cutters in the past and have been pleased with their quality so I was pretty certain that the Pipeline wouldn't disappoint. The lighter doesn't come with a case but when you register on the Xikar website they send you a free leather slipcase.

As you can see in the pictures the Pipeline is styled pretty much the same as the Old Boy and also includes a hide-away pipe tamper. The shiny surface is a real fingerprint magnet but it cleans up easily enough.

To try it out I filled the lighter with some triple-filtered butane. It took a few flicks of the flint to light it the first time out but since then it usually lights on the first strike. The flame level is fully adjustable and the directional flame makes it easy to reach the bottom of the pipe bowl without singeing the sides.

I like the classic look of the Pipeline as it has a real Art Deco vibe and the act of lighting it up is pretty classy. It doesn't do well in a breeze and even the slightest exhalation while lighting can snuff it out so this is definitely an indoor only lighter.

The Xikar Pipeline is a fine pipe lighter but I can't see it becoming my one and only lighting solution due to the few shortcomings inherent in a candle style flame. But it sure does look nice and at the price I paid I'm more than happy with my purchase.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found that the direction of the gas valve greatly reduced the ability to light on first strike, and further that the valve would often rotate on closing the lid.